Officially, I’ve only done the Level 1 Chocolates & Praline class at Savour School and in that class we only learned basic tempering, moulding and cut pralines techniques. Nothing too fancy such as colouring/spraying was taught in the level 1 class, which is why I was so excited when I was offered the chance to make hundreds of different coloured moulded chocolates at the Shanghai Callebaut Academy while I was assisting Manfred Rindler.
These are the final product from my 2 days worth of hard work (8am-5pm?). My favourite colour is the ‘Pistachio’ one in the cocoa bean shape.
Firstly, before any moulding or colouring happened, I had to prepare the fillings for each type of chocolate. I was given about 11 recipes in total (6 moulded chocolate & 5 cut pralines) but in the end I was only able to finish the moulded ones (the cut pralines were in their frames ready to be cut though).
It was quite stressful dealing with the different recipes for the different (but similar) ganaches, jelly fillings and nut inserts. They were all similar enough to confuse you if you were not careful enough, especially because most ganache recipes will require you to cool the chocolate down before adding the final butter, which meant that multiple recipes was going on at the same time.
The next step was to choose the appropriate moulds for each filling. We tried our best to match the moulds to the flavour but in the end I just chose the prettiest ones. (TIP: avoid moulds with corners, otherwise you will get air bubbles if you’re not careful). After the moulds are chosen, I spent the next hour or so polishing all the moulds with cotton wool to ensure that the surface of each mould is clean, free from dirt and polished so that the chocolates will come out really shiny.
The most exciting part for me was SPRAYING colours! These colours are all edible, fat based/soluble colours mixed in with cocoa butter. The following picture shows you what NOT to do: our intended effect was red dots on top of a yellow base, but I sprayed the yellow colour first and then splashed on red dots. Big mistake (see final product picture above). It was still very yummy, but aesthetically speaking, it could have been better.
The cocoa bean mould was my favourite in terms of the final effect but it was a pain to make. Layers and layers of finger painting individually… I could not feel my fingers at the end of the day. But I have to say, the end result is quite impressive 🙂
Hundreds of beautiful moulded chocolates, made by yours truly 🙂